Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nick and the Candlestick by Sylvia Plath (Read 658 times)
Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Re: Nick and the Candlestick by Sylvia Plath
Reply #33 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
All,

This thread gives me an intellectual orgasm. I learn more with each post LOL.

Yikes! --- where to begin?  I think I must do my persnal input in bits and pieces.. There is just too much going on -- in the poem and in this thread. You guys are so insightful and "into" this great poem. (I told you, Tim ~smile~). This thread could go on for quite a while.  So I won't try and explain all my thoughts in this ONE post. I'd like to zero in on one or two ideas in each post so it doesn't become so random.

Yvonne said earlier: "If you don't have the prior knowledge (about her son Nick) and other personal cues, is it possible to make correct sense of what she is saying in this poem?  I am having a tough time putting together the images to see the things you explain, without the explanation I'm just lost.... "

Well, I suspect, with the exception of Ted Hughes, most readers would be lost on first reading this poem. I do not really know to what degree a reader might need biographical information on Plath to be able to gasp all the symbols, metaphors and imagery in this. But initially, I think it best to analyze "Nick and the Candlestick" with a virginal microscope. 

The title of the poem is like the light on a miner's helmet for THIS reader. The symbols of the miner, cave and stalactites are quite blatant and when linked to the title, they enable us (the spelunkers) to gain some insight into where Plath is leading us. Since I view this as an "identity-poem", the N takes us on this journey with a little bit of trepidation IMHO. After all, taking us inside the private psych of a person can be so risk-taking -- hence, the strong and hard-hitting metaphors and imagery.  Do I really need to know Sylvia's bio to grasp it all --- for "all", I'd have to say, "yes" in this instance. But leave it aside for now and only know one fact ... that Nick is her son...and that can take the reader a long way.

Well, back to the title >>> Terence posted, " 'Waxy stalactites Drip and thicken', -- It is also noteworthy that the above is how dipped candles are made." I think that is right on the mark, Terence. If you try and link the title and the major metaphor of the mining/cave exploration, you should be able to see the connection through the candle/stalactite symbols.

So my "challenge" for this particular post is to grab hold of the "mining" and "cave", linked with the title, and see where it leads us (pun intended).  What other road-posts are there in the poem itself (biography put aside) that complement the searching theme -- and sure, the Christian links can be incorporated with or without her bio.

Anxious to see what else you come up with on this particular element...

Norm

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #32 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
But that image, "panes of ice"--like a freezing cold window....I think I said it wrong as 'fake'.  Anyway, this is the part that was bothering me this A.M. Undecided

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I think you're right Yvonne   Grin

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #30 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As I see it the boredom relates to the womb rather than the Narrator.  My take is that  the function of the uterus is to house and nurture the baby.  If the womb is barren, there is no baby then the womb is pretty much redundant.  The Narrator's despair at the womb's inertia creates the bats - depression.

I agree--that's the the way I see it.

"Those holy Joes.
And the fish, the fish--
Christ!  They are panes of ice."

This part has me thinking again--it's miricles she is referencing.... as being fake.... isn't that right?  Something "Christ" can't do for her?

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 10:00am
Print Post  
nas,

You are correct about the flame. i made the mistake of combining the two into one entity.

Also, one could say that the lack of child made her 'a little batty'. But, i wouldn't because that's far too cliche for my verrrrrrryyyy refined tastes.  Cheesy

~tim

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
Nick probably isn't the candlestick now that i look at it again.

Nick isn't the candlestick, he is the flame. Thus  I wonder if the candlestick refers to the womb, which holds the baby just as a candlestick holds the candle.

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 9:34am
Print Post  
As I see it the boredom relates to the womb rather than the Narrator.  My take is that  the function of the uterus is to house and nurture the baby.  If the womb is barren, there is no baby then the womb is pretty much redundant.  The Narrator's despair at the womb's inertia creates the bats - depression.  I don't know if I'm explaining it well but I think I understand what she is getting at.

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Quote:

I must admit that I initially read piranha as pariah.

nas, i read pariah, too as an interp of what piranha could have meant. Not too far off sense she could have been playing with the words.

~tim

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
There could well be those references, nas. There was also some speculation she had an abortion when she was still trying to keep her marriage to Ted secret. Yes, miscarriage is a fear and the poem does not, from what I can see other than the title, address the fact that Nick was born, it is all about the pregnancy. Quite possibly, with her state of mind, that fear may have been heightened and factored into the poem. At the moment I couldn't truly tell one way or the other.

i think that this may be the point where we have to stop with regards to the bio and finish with the poem itself. The logic of the poem dictates that we have attributed so much biography into the poem (which undoubtly she would have as well in order to write it, but probably didn't mean for everyone to hop on line and dissect it as we have) that we have turned this piece into a semi-biography and while she is methodical like that with her work, that may not have been her intent. 

Nick probably isn't the candlestick now that i look at it again. i crossed my wires with regards to the miners usage of flame, and the gas co.'s desire for blue flame. That was my mistake. i linked it to Nick and her prevailing notion of his 'purity'. If followed to a logical conclusion, the flame yellows and 'encourages' later on in the poem, how does that indicate an improvement using my thesis. It doesn't. i am more than happy to be wrong about that and move on. The first line is crucial to interpreting the metaphors and symbols. Given that i am miner, then all of this afterwards. The cave and miner are the blueprints (so to speak).

i think a key to the N's mentality is not as much fear as we have assigned to the poem, but S2 that reminds us of 'dead boredom exuding from the earthen womb'. i am usually not afraid and bored at the same time. Fear motivates and preoccupies my thoughts, boredom (which i seldom have because the world is full of so much to know...never mind the transitory nature of that knowledge...)does not.

Terence, i agree with you about the idea of the calcium cave refering to her pelvis/skeletal frame. That is where i took it the first time i read this beast. But, reading the vehicle literally for a moment, newts are semi-aquatic, while fish are fully aquatic. i am convinced that nothing in this poem is filler, so what is each of those creatures tenor (i.e. what do the newts and the fish represent)?

Newts make me think of eggs or ova, and the fish....well...?!

Yet, there is the issue of communion from her live toes. Now what? i thought that this references to the draw/leech on her body to create and sustain a child. On the first read i read it too literally and thought she was darning the church for failing her (which i think i mentioned early on), i can't support that theory now. 

Okay, i am going to double-back on my idea about the flame. Let me explain where i went with it before and you all can tell me how off base i am.

The blue flame represents the pure, oxygen efficent flame. This is Nick in the body of the N/Plath.
Before S7, everything is cold and deathly. Depressing to say the least. But, in S7-8 we are given....

Its first communion out of my live toes.   
The candle   
Gulps and recovers its small altitude,   

Its yellows hearten.   
O love, how did you get here?   
O embryo

As the embryo grows and she can feel it and acknowledge it, she begins to love it...hearten=encourage.

After this point in the poem, the N loves the baby, no more boredom, she sees the world as a mother-to-be and all the wonder that comes with it. Especially the preoccupation of getting things ready for it's arrival. The spaces in the last stanza, the emptiness, relies on him. Again, his saviour. That is where my thought on the candle goes. Blue is efficent, but efficent is not usually emotional or empathic, yellow fire is wild, raw, romantic and empathic. That is where i was going with it. That is why i thought the flame was Nick. i could be wrong. i have been wrong before and i'll be wrong again.

~tim

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Interesting that you mention abortion because I did consider that.

the verse:

Quote:
A vice of knives,   
A piranha   
Religion, drinking 

seems to hint at abortion.  I imagined a surgical knife and the religious attitudes to abortion making her feel guilty.

I must admit that I initially read piranha as pariah.

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #23 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 7:25am
Print Post  
There could well be those references, nas. There was also some speculation she had an abortion when she was still trying to keep her marriage to Ted secret. Yes, miscarriage is a fear and the poem does not, from what I can see other than the title, address the fact that Nick was born, it is all about the pregnancy. Quite possibly, with her state of mind, that fear may have been heightened and factored into the poem. At the moment I couldn't truly tell one way or the other.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 7:35am by Terence »  

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 6:47am
Print Post  
I'm sure there is reference to miscarriage throughout the poem.  I read that she did have one before she had Nick

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Tim,

I have to question your earlier statement "The title ... refers to her son Nicholas and in fact, in a metaphorical sense, could be retitlted Nick IS the candlestick."

Is Nick the "candlestick", being the holder of the candle? Could Nick actually be the candle and her womb, that carries the candle, be the candlestick? Nick, the candle, is the one that brings a light into her life, grows from her body, actually similar to stalactites growing from elements/impurities in the water that feed them. 

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:16am
Print Post  
No problem about the newts, Yvonne, I'm not sure what they represent either, except that fish/newts who live in caves lose their pigments, become colorless. And the fetal waste is a natural process that occurs while the baby is growing, such as urine. No miscarriage, Nick was born to her and supposedly was her favorite child, which could be relevant to the last line, whereas her husband was more partial to their daughter Frieda.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 7:09am by Terence »  

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Quote:

"Let the mercuric  
Atoms that cripple drip  
Into the terrible well,"

This is probably a reference to the fetal waste being returned to the mother's blood system via the placenta.

There may well be even deeper references involved though the above are expressive in themselves.

Oh--that sounds much better than what I was thinking, but at the same time much worse....than it would appear she has lost this child?  Which would explain the emptiness.  Also, I was just thinking that making this child like Jesus in the end, would then be comparable to how we tend to idolize the dead....but this child being the greater gift in her eyes, and the "real" (solid) that she has to lean on, more than any old religion could give.   

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:16am by sierra »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint